How can a doctor or counselor help me feel less afraid or tense?

John H. Krystal, M.D.

Many people are troubled by thoughts and feelings that they do not feel comfortable sharing with their friends or family members. The inability to share these thoughts and feelings can make people feel isolated, unsupported and ashamed...

Mental health professionals are specifically trained to help people feel comfortable in sharing their difficult thoughts and feelings and to provide feedback and sometimes homework exercises that help many people feel better afterwards. Overall, people who have problems with tension and anxiety that are interfering with their life find it helpful to talk to a therapist.

John H. Krystal, M.D.
Scientific Council Member
Chair, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University